The parish church of SS Peter and Paul Bilsington in the diocese of Canterbury dates from around the second half of the 13th century when the Priory of St Augustine probably impropriated it. The Priory can be seen NE of the church,3/4 of a mile away. The Priory was surrendered to the crown in 1535.
Inside the church the Nave has four windows which are 14th century in style and there are some original fragments of glass present. There is a blocked Norman window and at the SE end of this wall the re is more evidence of filling in. At floor level there is evidence of a doorway and above it an opening which may have given access to the rood loft. Above the chancel arch hangs the Royal arms of George the 111, dated 1774. Near the south-east door there is a hatchment of Lord Justice Luxmoor who lived at the Priory. In 1883 there was considerable alterations to the fabric, the existing pulpit (probably Georgian) was moved from the north side to the south side of the chancel arch, the box pews were replaced and the west gallery was removed. This probably housed an organ, violins and a choir. Above the door into the tower is a stone bearing a carving which may well be the oldest surviving work in the church dating from about the 12th century.
The organ was purchased in 1952 from the Parish Church of Old Shoreham, Sussex and was installed into its present position after a complete overhaul in January 1953. It has only 5 speaking stops and is therefore on of the smallest two-manual pedal organs in the country. The piano was given by the Frere family of Knoll House, Aldington and was reputed to have been played by Noel Coward when a guest of the Freres during the time he lived at Goldenhurst.
The re-building of the East wall during the restoration in 1883 had three lancet windows of the 13th century style put in instead of a large wood-framed window of indeterminate date. During this period the reading desk was bought into the chancel from the Nave. The reredos is the work of MR Kruger Gray F.S.A. and a description of it may be found on the NE window. There is a Sedilia (seat for the priest during the service) and a Piscina (for cleansing sacred vessels) on the Sanctuary south wall. On the E jamb of the NE window there is a 13th century carved head possibly representing one of the Canons Of the Priory.
Outside the church above the square-headed window there is a coat-of-arms dated 1590. The weather vane was given by the Walter family of Folkestone to replace that lost in the storm of 1987. During the last century it was found that the belfry was not robust enough to carry the bell ,which weighs over 9cwts. Its inscription reads “In mulletts anise resonate Campaign Jonah’s” (For many a year the bell of John shall sound”) The casting was paid for by Henry Jordan, a fishmonger and citizen of London during the 15th century.
The church registers date from 1562.